ight now there are millions of Americans living with gum disease; however, only a small percentage of this number will seek professional treatment. Research has linked gum disease to a variety of health complications including diabetes, heart disease, pancreatic cancer, and low birth weight. While gum disease might seem like an inconvenience or irritation in its early stages, it is a significant health risk that should be taken seriously.
Until recently, treatments for gum disease have been invasive and painful. Proper treatment meant either dental surgery to cut and remove affected gums or extracting teeth and replacing them with dentures or dental implants. Recent advances in dental technology have provided a more precise alternative with the PerioLase® MVP-7™ and the LANAP® protocol (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure).
The LANAP® procedure utilizes the highly specialized PerioLase® MVP-7™ laser to provide a less invasive, more acute treatment for gum disease. The protocol targets and kills the bacteria that cause gum disease, removes damaged gum tissue, and reattaches healthy tissue to a tooth’s root surface. LANAP® treats gum disease without the pain, gum line recession, or increased sensitivity traditionally associated with periodontal treatments. Additionally, LANAP® offers more predictable long-term results.
LANAP® is the first and only FDA-cleared laser protocol on the market. Its effectiveness is backed by both domestic and international studies. LANAP® can save teeth that would otherwise require extraction by promoting bone regeneration around the tooth. LANAP® saves teeth, reduces pocket depth, and regenerates bone growth to achieve optimum periodontal health.
Benefits of LANAP®
- Faster Healing - LANAP® is minimally invasive and allows the body to recover and heal more quickly.
- Less Discomfort - The PerioLase® MVP-7™ incites bio-stimulation in the treated areas which expedites healing and makes the need for post-operative pain medication rare.
- Minimal Recovery Time - Most patients can immediately return to their daily routine.
- Little to No Gum Recession - Because the procedure removes only damaged tissue, gum line recession is minimal; the aesthetic appearance of the smile is maintained.
- Reduction in Gum Inflammation and Bleeding - LANAP® can remove up to 90% of oral inflammation in one visit. The PerioLase® MVP-7™ targets inflammatory bacteria without injuring healthy tissue.
- Minimal Operative Bleeding - PerioLase® MVP-7™ controls bleeding during surgery through the formation of clots and minimizes the risk of bleeding and complications.
- Saving of Teeth - Patients can keep their natural teeth sometimes even when the teeth have been deemed unsalvageable with traditional treatments.
- Regeneration of Bone - LANAP® is the only protocol that is scientifically proven to regenerate bone tissue around teeth.
- Safety - LANAP® has zero contraindications; it does not interfere with any other diseases or medications.